Country SA PHN (CSAPHN) Clinical Council has been established as an operational advisory committee to provide clinical advice to CSAPHN and its Board.
The Clinical Council focusses on ways to streamline patient care, improve the quality of care and utilise existing health resources efficiently to improve health outcomes. This will include input regarding pathways between hospital and general practice that influence the follow-up treatment of patients.
While our Clinical Council is GP-led, other members of the council will include a range of health care professionals from the CSAPHN region, to enable a multidisciplinary focus of health care service for greater integration of care.
Our Clinical Council will function through two coordinated platforms which are:
- A standing Clinical Council which will meet to;
- provide advice to the Board on relevant clinical issues to assist in decision-making regarding local and regional priorities and opportunities for improvements in the operation of the healthcare system for patients, particularly those at risk of poor health outcomes.
- provide assistance to the organisation to realise its strategic plan and contribute to the health needs assessment. It will review and provide input to clinical programs and service delineation run or commissioned by CSAPHN.
- assist to develop local strategies to improve the operation of the health care system for patients in the CSAPHN region, facilitating effective primary health care provision to reduce avoidable hospital presentations and admissions. Clinical Councils will work in partnership with CHSA and the metropolitan LHNs in this regard.
- A series of virtual Clinical Councils which will:
- bring together via electronic platforms, meetings of local clinicians, regionally or issue specific, to supplement the work of the standing Clinical Council and provide local or issue specific information and advice, that will supplement the advice and support provided to the CSAPHN by the standing Clinical Council.
- the virtual Clinical Council platforms recognise the desire of the CSAPHN to ensure the Clinical Councils reflect the input of all areas of our region.
Standing Clinical Council Members:
Dr Alison Edwards GP, Broughton Clinic & CSAPHN Board Director
Dr Peter Rischbieth GP, Bridge Clinic & CSAPHN Board Director
Dr Steve Holmes GP, Victoria Road Medical Clinic & CHSA Chief Advisor Obstetrics
Dr Mike Beckoff GP & Country Health SA Clinical Advisor Mental Health
Dr David Rosenthal GP, Renmark Medical Clinic & CHSA Chief Consultant, Safety & Quality
Ms Kirsten Sargeson Pharmacist, Riverland Plaza Pharmacy & CSAPHN Board Director
Community Advisory Committees
A critical component of the Primary Health Networks programme is the Commonwealth mandate to establish and maintain Community Advisory Committees.
The Country SA PHN has a number of Community Advisory Committees covering much of the PHN catchment:
- Barossa Local Health Cluster
- Far West Local Health Cluster
- Fleurieu Region Community Services Advisory Committee
- Limestone Coast Community Service Round Table (CSRT)
- Lower Eyre Local Health Cluster
- Mid North Local Health Cluster
- Riverland Community Services Alliance
- Roxby Downs Community Board Health Forum
- Upper Eyre Local Health Cluster
- Yorke Peninsula Local Health Cluster
These Committees are essential to provide the community perspective to the Country SA PHN Board and ensure that decisions, investments are innovations are patient centred, cost-effective, locally relevant and aligned to local care experiences and expectations.
The members of these committees bring a range of local, professional, governance and lived experience skills that contribute to an effective committee environment. Country SA PHN values the range of information these committees provide on local health, education, social and transport issues.
Our Community Advisory Committees are supported by our Regional Strategies team who are currently in negotiation with other like-minded groups who have expressed an interest in being involved. We anticipate that we will soon have Community Advisory Committees in Kangaroo Island, the Fleurieu Peninsula and in the Limestone Coast.